Doom Pussy publishing date?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 14 02:04:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Elaine Shepard was in Vietnam as a journalist in 1966. That is the year
> she took her notes and wrote _The Doom Pussy_. The February, 1967,
> publication date virtually precludes the book's having been written,
> edited, and proofread after the end of 1966.

OK, I didn't realize that books were dated in HDAS based on presumed date
of composition but I now see that Jon explains this fully in the front
matter.  I assume that when HDAS citations are absorbed into OED they are
dated more conventionally, by the date of publication.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS