"Tad bit"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 14 03:28:27 UTC 2006

And there's "tee-nine-shih," common among both black speakers and
white speakers in the South, or in Texas, at least. I don't know what
it might be a blend of, if it is one.

-Wilson

On 8/10/06, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Tad bit"
>
> Or more specifically, it started as a blend: from "a tad" + "a little =
> bit."  Evidently there are several examples of blends involving the =
> expression of something very small, e.g. "teeny" from "tiny" + "wee"; =
> "tinetsy" from "tiny" + "teeny". =20
> =20
> Gerald Cohen

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass