"Tad bit"--("tee-nine-shih")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 15 05:49:59 UTC 2006

That looks very reasonable to me, G. And [ts] <=> [tS] is
cross-linguistic. I recall some guru saying about his ex-wife, "See is
a bits." In Modern Greek, whether one pronounces TS as [ts] or as [tS]
is a shibboleth that reveals one's social class. And "tee-nine-tsih"
sounds as right as "tee-nine-shih" to my internal ear. I would have
given it as an alternate pronunciation, if I'd thought of it.

-Wilson

]
On 8/14/06, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Tad bit"--("tee-nine-shih")
>
> Here's a possibility:
>   The first two syllables ("tee-nine") may be blended from "teeny" + =
> "tiny" (TEEN- from "teeny" and -IN- from "tiny"). As for "-shih" my =
> guess (and it's only a guess) is that we deal with an alteration of  the =
> "-tsy" in "teentsy," "eentsy," "tinetsy," etc.  The "ts" became blurred =
> to "sh" (are there other examples of this?) and for the final vowel cf. =
> Missouri/Missour-uh, Ohio/Ohi-uh, Cincinnati/Cincinnat-uh.
>     So perhaps the blend comes ultimately from "teentsy" + "tinetsy."
> =20
> Gerald Cohen
> P.S. In my earlier message I should have said that the two forms which =
> blended to give "tinetsy" were "tiny" + a form like "teentsy" or =
> "eentsy-weentsy." =20

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass