1851 jest about trad repertoire

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Aug 15 12:30:09 UTC 2006

The stanza in question belongs principally to the ballad regularly titled "The Mermaid" (Child, no. 289); however, like other memorable snatches of old tunes, it could migrate to different songs.

Child's "A" text, from "Newcastle, 1765?" lacks the stanza, which appears in the "B" text, quoted from Chappell’s Popular Music of the Olden Time (1859):

Then three times round went our gallant ship,
And three times round went she;
For the want of a life-boat they all went down,
And she sank to the bottom of the sea.

Child associated his "B" version with the date 1840, although Chappell identified his text of the ballad is a composite, with some stanzas perhaps annexed from later sources.

The vastly popular Forget-Me-Not Songster (by 1850, editions had issued from a dozen or more publishers in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Saint Louis, Montreal, and probably elsewhere), contained "The Mermaid," including this stanza (with its ironic point of view):

Then three times round went our good ship,
And sank immediately,
Left none to tell the sorrowing tale,
Of our brave company.

I've quoted from a 1974 reprint of an undated New York edition; the reprint company (Norwood Editions) claims 1835 as the year of publication.

So, to respond to Jonathan’s query, there was definitely "mention of that ballad in America" prior to 1851.

--Charlie