Quincea ñera (OED?) & Fifteen (Cuba); OT: Popik & Cohen photo online

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 15 21:03:12 UTC 2006

OT POPIK & COHEN PHOTO ONLINE
My wife has been going through various photos. With the help of Grant
Barrett, some are now on my website (including a Popik-Cohen photo from  1996):
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/comments/about_the_site_edi
tor/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/comments/about_the_site_editor/)

Quinceañera
Quinceañera is not in the OED? What does the  revised OED have? A movie was
just released with the title Quinceañera.
DARE had asked me about Quinceañera.; the first DARE cites  are 1975 and
1989. I might add this to my Texas page. Is the word in the  digital archive of
the Dallas Morning News?
I've added "Little Havana" (Miami) and "Havana on  the Hudson" (Union City,
NJ) to my Florida web page, and I've linked it to the  Wikipedia
(_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Havana_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Havana) )
.   When Fidel Castro dies, maybe I'll get a quarter. This web thing is a ton
of  work in my precious spare time, and I'm pulling in all of 11 cents a
day.
Anyway, one of the "Little Havana on the Hudson"  cites also mentioned the
Cuban "Fifteen" taking place in Union City,  NJ.

(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/florida/entry/little_havana_miami_little_havana_on_the_hudson_union_city_new_jersey/)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/florida/entry/little_havana_miami_little_havana_on_the_hudson_union_city_
new_jersey/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/florida/entry/little_havana_miami_little_havana_on_the_hudson_union_city_new_jersey/)
24 April 1977, Times Standard (Eureka, CA), pg. 6(?):
“Little  Havana” on the Hudson
Union City—Heaviest concentration of Cubans
By KAY BARTLETT
UNION CITY, N.J. (AP)...
(...)
Yet the Cubans,  30,000 strong, make up 64 per cent of the town’s population,
a heavier majority  than in Miami, where they constitute slightly more than
half.

So it is  that Union City, which called itself the Embroidery Capital of the
World, and  whose other claim to fame was the old Hudson Theater burlesque
house, now also  is known as Little Havana on the Hudson.
(...)
The Cubans created another social tradition here, one that only the wealthy
practiced back home. It's called a "Fifteen"and is an elaborate party for a
15-year-old girl, much like a debutante party, Publisher Avila, who runs
pictures of the affairs in his weekly, says it can cost as much as  $10,000.