Spelling pronunciation spot-check

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Aug 16 23:37:21 UTC 2006

>In my family, we've always said "sal-mon." Unfortunately, I have no
>idea whether this be a BE thing, a Texas-BE thing, or what. Most
>likely, it's a BE thing, since I was in my twenties, before I became
>accustomed to hearing "'saa-mon." Judge Joe Brown always pronounces
>the /l/ in "calm" and it strikes me as a spelling pronunciation. It
>might have to do with the fact that, in Southen BE, "come" in all of
>its meanings is pronounced "cahmHowever, I don't have any intuition
>WRT "pahm" v. "palm." They both sound okay to me. But I like to hear
>the /l/ in "Palmer."
>
>-Wilson
It never occurred to me before this discussion to notice that "palm" and
"calm"  are not pronounced the same by me.  I definitely sound the /l/ in
"palm", but "calm" is simply "cahm."
WRT "salmonella," for years, on the rare occasions  I had  for saying it
aloud, I said "sammon..." on the mistaken asumption that the microbe was
thus  named because of a fancied resemblance to the fish.  It was only
twenty years ago or so that I learned that it was named for the scientist.
AM