"horlle" in 1651?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Aug 17 06:01:40 UTC 2006

>What is a "horlle" that a woman of wealth might wear "silk or tiffany
>horlles or scarfes" in 1651 Massachusetts?

My short answer is "I don't know."

However, for lack of other/better responses, I will make the probably
superfluous observation that Hoerlle/Horlle/etc. is a surname, I suppose
German. The spelling with "-rll-" seems so strange that -- assuming there
is no typographical or transcription error -- I suppose this is probably
the same word. One might speculate that the word refers to an article of
clothing or decoration named after some Mr./Ms. Hoerlle (cf. "mackintosh" =
"raincoat" etc.).

-- Doug Wilson