Texas Crabgrass

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 21 04:21:20 UTC 2006

 Greetings from Austin, Texas! My website made about 19 cents yesterday, so this etymology thing is really paying off and clearly worth all my time.
 They don't have America's Historical Newspapers or the Dallas Morning News (Newsbank) at the Austin Public Library. Maybe someone can look up "Texas crabgrass"? Any forthcoming DARE entry?...Gotta add "cowboy cookies" and "ranger cookies" real soon. That's where the big money is...I searched through the menu collection at the Austin History Center. "Wop salad" appears to have been a dish on local menus in the 1950s..."Antlers and Claws" (the Austin-Boston combo) is an interesting "surf and turf" type meal from Hudon's on the Bend restaurant here, featured in its LIVING FEARLESSLY (1999) cookbook.
 Anything about the Pig Stand (America's first "drive-in" at Beaumont, Texas in 1921) on the computer databases?
 "Texas Torpedoes" seem interesting, from a Google cite:
 LunchTexas Torpedoes. Cheese stuffed jalapenos, lightly breaded and deep fried. $5.45. Fried Mushrooms. Lightly breaded and deep fried. $4.95. Combo ...
 www.prairiehouserestaurant.com/lunch.htm - 54k - Cached - Similar pages
 (GOOGLE)
  TEXAS CRABGRASS   ¼ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine  ½ cup chopped onion  1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained  1 6- to 7- ounce can crabmeat, flaked  ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese  1 cup sour cream