blamed

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 21 18:34:21 UTC 2006

Again, I agree with you, Charlie, though I've heard just plain
"dadblame" about as often as "dadblame it." I've also heard the more
florid "got damp in the basement, but didn't get wet" and "got no
money in the bank."

-Wilson

On 8/20/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: blamed
>
> I've heard (probably used) "blamed" in that sense since my (East Texas) childhood in the 1950s/1960s.  I believe my assumption has always been that it somehow derives from the fuller (though still minced) curse "dadblame it"--which is surely based on "goddamn it," though I can't quite imagine the evolutionary process in phonological or semantic terms. "Dad" representing "God the Father"?? (I hardly think so!)
>
> --Charlie

There's only one thing that money can't buy and that's poverty.

--Jack Benny