Merely a matter of taste?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 22 20:02:09 UTC 2006

Sounds perfectly standard to me.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Merely a matter of taste?

The plaintiffs list what they'e done for the benefit of the defendant.
The defendant replies:

"All they've done is drive me crazy."

In the context in which this was spoken, I would have expected:

"_The only thing they've done_ is drive me crazy."

Nevertheless, what was actually said somehow seems to verge upon
"correct" for me.

--Wilson

There's only one thing that money can't buy and that's poverty.

--Jack Benny

http://mail.yahoo.com