"I'm from Missouri--Show Me" (1894)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 26 23:00:33 UTC 2006

My wife actually let me out of the house to go to the library this  Saturday.
I checked the America's Historical Newspapers database (from Readex  and the
American Antiquarian Society) and have new "show me" information.
This all sinks Congressman Willard Van Diver and his 1900 alleged use, and
the 1896 use by Colorado miners.
28 October 1894, <i>Sunday World-Herald</i> (Omaha, NE), pg.  10:
Johnson (John S. Johnson, a bicycle rider --ed.) says that he can cover a
mile in 1:30 flat, but being from Missouri he will have to show me.
EATON.
13 November 1894, <i>Morning World-Herald</i> (Omaha, NE), pg.  3:
<i>They're From Missouri.</i>
Fowler, Dick & Walker, against whom P. H. Fotheringham has brought a  $10,000
damage suit, are from Missouri and want to be shown. They have filed in  the
district court a motion for a more specified statement on the part of
Fotheringham.
23 December 1894, <i>Sunday World-Herald</i> (Omaha, NE), pg.  18:
A few days after that "a tall, long, lank, underfed, wall-eyed, slab-sided,
hatchet-faced girl" from the state where you have to "show me" came up to the
window with an "I say, mister, what's the fare down home again?"
1 December 1895, <i>Sunday World-Herald</i> (Omaha, NE), pg.  19:
Your uncle will not believe that Omaha will be in the Western league until
along in the shank of next season, when a team with the word "Omaha" emblazoned
 upon the shirts of players in actual service can be shown to him. And he is
not  from Missouri, either.
21 February 1896, <i>Sunday World-Herald</i> (Omaha, NE), pg.  3:
This ballot was also made formal and Mr.  (W. H. --ed.) Bradley was  called
for. He was bashful, but the convention howled until he mounted the  platform
declaring, "I'm from Missouri and have to be  shown."