Probie (probationary employee)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 28 20:02:06 UTC 2006

On the CBS TV show, NCIS, one of the characters, "Timothy McGee,"
played by Sean Murray, is nicknamed "Probie." The program premiered on
September 23, 2003.

-Wilson

On 8/28/06, bapopik at aol.com <bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Probie (probationary employee)
>
> A fire "probie" died yesterday. OED? HDAS?
> (GOOGLE NEWS)
> Probie dies in Bronx blaze
> New York Daily News, NY - 8 hours ago
> ... struggled to reach Reilly, of Engine Co. 75, and his colleagues. But it was too late to save the probie. "He did what he wanted to do ...
> Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

-Wilson
––
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"––a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens