-SS -> -ST?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Dec 1 13:05:06 UTC 2006

"Feist" in what sense, Wilson? 'Little dog'? The OED has an entry, but for the 'little dog' sense, only a citation of Bartlett's _Dictionary of Americanisms_, the 1860 edition (there spelled "fiste). The more normal lexified spelling (a la Faulkner) would be /t/-less "fice" (OED).  The dog so-called, presemably, because it farts a lot; cf. "fizzle," "fiesty" ("full of beans"), archaic "fist," etc.

--Charlie