online accent quiz

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Dec 1 21:04:48 UTC 2006

Westerners, most Canadians, some Midlanders, some Southerners, many
New Englanders, many African Americans -- ain't no hope for the
cot-caught distinction. Now you all know how I feel about
horse-hoarse and which-witch.

"Accent" is usually the term among dialectologists reserved for the
phonetic-phonological aspects of dialect or "dialect pronunciation."
"Foreign accent" or the name of the L1 (e.g., "French accent")
usually keeps this clear. I ain't real fond of it since 'accent' for
stress is also around.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: online accent quiz
>
>Someone said to think of "accent" as being from a non-native English speaker
>and "dialect" being from a native English talker.
>
>Apparently it's the westerners who are doing the "merging" of vowels here.
>There are a lot of westerners getting into the media and that is creating a
>lot of ah-dropping.  Not good.
>
>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
>See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
>

>>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>>Subject: online accent quiz
>>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:38:36 -0500

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>Subject:      online accent quiz
>>
>>for those of you who can't remember where you're from but do remember
>>how you pronounce your vowels...
>>http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have
>>
>>LH

>Fixing up the home? Live Search can help
>http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English