Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 2 16:56:16 UTC 2006

I remember some national figure denouncing "Afro-American" around 1970 as pernicious because it wasn't formally parallel to "Italian-American" or "Irish-American."  Evidently he'd never heard of "Italo-American," "Hiberno-American," "Anglo-American," etc.

  He must have been aware of "Franco-American," but may have thought it referred to the Spanish dictator.

  JL

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Wilton
Subject: Re: Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

I recall seeing "Afro-American" in a Doonesbury strip from the early 70s
(one featuring the short-lived character Thor, a black elementary student
who was tutored by Doonesbury). The humor in the punch line depended on the
word seemingly being "hip" among whites, but passe and dated among blacks.
(Thor doesn't show for class. Mike finds him playing baseball. When asked,
Thor says he couldn't go to class because it was "Afro-American Cultural
Appreciation Day." While Doonesbury wonders if he is being conned, another
player asks Thor about the holiday and he replies it was the best he could
come up with on the fly.)

And there is a parallelism in that Africa, Italy, and Japan are all places.
There is also a stronger parallel with "Asian American" and the much rarer
"European American."

Also, since it is impossible for most African Americans to pinpoint the
exact place where their ancestors came from (and if they could, the modern
country that is there did not exist back then), use of country names
wouldn't really work in this case.

--Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net