Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 2 21:21:38 UTC 2006

I remember that kid. Do you also recall his older, black buddy, the
apple cap-wearing Clyde? One day, well, one strip, Thor comes across
Clyde in, of all places, the library. Caught off guard, Thor
ejaculates, "Clyde! What are *you* doing here!" Clyde replies, "I'm
looking up my roots." To which Thor replies, "Trying to find out who
your father was, huh?"

-Wilson

On 12/2/06, Dave Wilton <dave at wilton.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"
>
> I recall seeing "Afro-American" in a Doonesbury strip from the early 70s
> (one featuring the short-lived character Thor, a black elementary student
> who was tutored by Doonesbury). The humor in the punch line depended on the
> word seemingly being "hip" among whites, but passe and dated among blacks.
> (Thor doesn't show for class. Mike finds him playing baseball. When asked,
> Thor says he couldn't go to class because it was "Afro-American Cultural
> Appreciation Day." While Doonesbury wonders if he is being conned, another
> player asks Thor about the holiday and he replies it was the best he could
> come up with on the fly.)
>
> And there is a parallelism in that Africa, Italy, and Japan are all places.
> There is also a stronger parallel with "Asian American" and the much rarer
> "European American."
>
> Also, since it is impossible for most African Americans to pinpoint the
> exact place where their ancestors came from (and if they could, the modern
> country that is there did not exist back then), use of country names
> wouldn't really work in this case.
>
> --Dave Wilton
>   dave at wilton.net

-----