online accent quiz

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Dec 3 00:50:01 UTC 2006

Tom,.

Not quite; since aspect is the phonological componenet of dialect,
your monsieur from Indianapolis won't quite cut it.

Please refer to former conceted efforts to change language. The
caught-cot distinction will go, and our grandchildren will not be
linguistic dummies for the loss.

dInIs (who, as you notice, does very well with I-E conflation beore nasals)

> [...]
>>  >-----------------------
>>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  >Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
>>  >Subject:      Re: online accent quiz
>>  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >
>>  >Someone said to think of "accent" as being from a non-native English
>>speaker
>>  >and "dialect" being from a native English talker.
>>  >
>>  >Apparently it's the westerners who are doing the "merging" of vowels
>>here.
>>  >There are a lot of westerners getting into the media and that is creating
>>  >lot of ah-dropping.  Not good.
>>  >
>>  >Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
>>  >See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>  >>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>>  >>Subject: online accent quiz
>>  >>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:38:36 -0500
>>  >>
>>  >>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>  >>-----------------------
>>  >>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  >>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>  >>Subject:      online accent quiz
>>  >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >>
>>  >>for those of you who can't remember where you're from but do remember
>>  >>how you pronounce your vowels...
>>  >>http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have
>>  >>
>>  >>LH
>>  >>
>>  >>------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>  >
>>  >_________________________________________________________________
>>  >Fixing up the home? Live Search can help
>  > >http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG
>>  >
>>  >------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>

>>--
>>Dennis R. Preston
>>University Distinguished Professor
>>Department of English
>>15C Morrill Hall
>>Michigan State University
>>East Lansing, MI 48824
>>517-353-4736
>>preston at msu.edu

>MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks by style,

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world, but if you look at
them carefully, you'll see that they all have one thing in common:
They were invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named Dennis.
Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English