online accent quiz

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 00:35:52 UTC 2006

Then if linguists don't prescribe pronunciation, who does?  Every dictionary
writer says they are descriptive pronunciation.  I have written a dictionary
pronunciation.  I say what I'm writing is descriptive.  But then it becomes
prescriptive for those reading it.

What's bad about a dialect is that it subverts the alpabetic principle, that
letters stand for sounds.  It makes English less consistent, it creates
homonyms that cause confusion of meaning.

If you have no criterion for dialects being good or bad, than you can have
no opinion.  But if you value the alphabetic principle and would like to
keep English pronunciation as consistent with it as possible, it means
saying "pin" for the word "pen" is not good.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: online accent quiz
>Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:39:23 -0600

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: online accent quiz
>
>What you call mispronunciation is a large part of what makes a dialect a
>dialect. If you say the speakers of certain dialects are mispronouncing
>their words, then you are saying that their dialect is wrong. Personally, I
>won't say that someone's natural language is wrong just because they
>pronounce "pen" and "pin" the same. Someone might tell me that my dialect
>is
>wrong too for extending the length of the "o" in Minnesota, but I don't
>think it is. It's just different. I personally think we, as linguists,
>should be just describing the way people speak instead of telling them they
>are wrong and trying to prescribe.
>
>Scot LaFaive
>

> >From: Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >Subject: Re: online accent quiz
> >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:52:19 +0000
> >
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> >Subject:      Re: online accent quiz
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Why defend mispronunciations.  Sure folks in some areas say  pin for pen.
> >So when they say "I've got a pin for you" you don't know what they mean.
> >Is
> >it pin or pen?
> >
> >My friend was working with a speach recognition program.  He said the
> >stupid
> >program recognized "bed" for "bad".  I said let me hear you say it.  Then
> >said "You are saying "bed" instead of "bad".
> >
> >If that's "knot" a "bed" homonym "eye" don't "no" "watt"t is.  :-)
> >
> >Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
> >See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
> >

> > >From: Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU>
> > >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> > >Subject: Re: online accent quiz
> > >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 01:37:51 -0500
> > >
> > >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> > >-----------------------
> > >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > >Poster:       Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU>
> > >Subject:      Re: online accent quiz

> > >This must mean that English lost the [a:]/[a] distinction because it
> >should
> > >have.  Was there also a requirement that led to the vowel shift?

> > >I doubt I could make a reasonable distinction between necessary and
> [...]

View Athlete’s Collections with Live Search
http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01