Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Dec 4 16:18:19 UTC 2006

Wilson,

The same thing goes for Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.

These have no more relationship to reality than does African-American.

People of Sicilian ancestry have little in common with those from other
areas of Italy. Today in the US the word Irish implies Roman Catholic but
at the time of the Revolutionary War and for many years after it referred
to the Scots Irish who were protestants, and if you know anything about
Irish nationalism you have to know that such people as Wolfe Tone, Parnell
and even Yeats were protestants.

African-American is a nonsensical term which is largely based not on any
reality but is a racist term in its implications because it does not apply
to any Boer who might have immigrated to the US who has as much claim to
the title as anyone of Black ancestry.

And what about people of Black ancestry who are considered in common
parlance in the US to be African-American.

Genetically and sociologically there are vast differences between people
from different areas of Africa but what the hell do you do.

As my late Black friend, JD Elder pointed out to me when I lived in
Trinidad the solution to this problem is both simple and very difficult to
study because the key to understanding it is to study among other things
cultural traditions one of the most important of which is drumming patterns
which different groups have managed to maintain over more than 100 years in
exile from Africa.

In other words lumping people of African-American descent into a single
category just because they are Black makes as much sense as lumping
everyone who is descended from someone who came to the US from Europe into
the same category.

Tell that one to a Slovakian who plays the polka differently from someone
of Polish descent.

Page Stephens

> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

---