Texas phrases (If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...merry Christmas)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 5 12:54:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, George Thompson wrote:

> By the way -- a number of year ago, there was discussion here of a
> manuscript autobiography that Legman had left.  Does anyone know of a
> plan to publish it?  If I recall, Fred Shapiro at the time was in
> correspondence with Legman's widow.

When I talked with Judith Legman, she had intentions of completing some of
her husband's work, such as his long-awaited study on ballads, but my
impression is that these intentions probably will not be fulfilled.  Even
less likely than the ballads book being finished is the autobiography,
which by all accounts is a huge, sprawling manuscript.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986