NPR profile (was something else)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 5 20:04:43 UTC 2006

At 12:37 PM -0600 12/5/06, Matthew Gordon wrote:
>Actually the piece I heard was pretty fair. The author of the book, Kitty
>Burns Florey, explicitly notes the uselessness of diagramming sentences for
>improving writing and even for teaching basic grammar. She suggests the
>value of sentence diagramming is as a reinforcement of material learned by
>other means.
>
>You can listen to the story here:
>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6569894

I'd be happy to defend Kitty Burns Florey, who is a very good
novelist, a neighbor (in Hamden, CT), and the source of the
recommendation that led us to our contractors (she wrote a nice piece
in the Times in the late 80s on the addition she had built onto her
house and made the experience seem so great I wrote her postcard
asking for the names of her contractors, who (ultimately) didn't
disappoint).  She strikes me as someone far too sensible to have
presented sentence diagramming as a useful skill for writers, so I'm
glad to see the specifics.

LH