Yee-ha(w) / "Rebel yell"

Tue Dec 5 20:47:28 UTC 2006

> So, George, you think we're the only ones who recognize the name of
> H. Allen Smith ?  He was pretty well-known...back then.....
>
>  Uh-oh.
>
>  JL

Bergen Evans edited or at least wrote the forward to an anthology of his
works.  But JL and I and a few others are no doubt the only ones here
who remember Bergen Evans, too -- an English prof (at Northwestern?) who
became a TV personality.  Wrote a book on English usage, but perhaps
that wasn't prescriptivist enough to stick in your memories.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.