Yee-ha(w) / "Rebel yell"

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Dec 6 16:37:16 UTC 2006

Sam,

I don't have many references to beginning a song in that way but The
Hoosier Hotshots began many of their recordings by shouting, "Are you
ready, Hezzie?"

I have also heard, "Yee-Ha!" on records although god only knows where so
apparently it was common practice to begin a song in this way and Bob Wills
used this device all the time.

Minnie Pearl's, "Howdee!" probably also fits in this category.

My guess as to where to find it would be on transcriptions of The National
Barn Dance or The Grand Ol Opry which were not limited by the time
restrictions of 78s.

If you would like to hear a transcription of The National Barn Dance which
also includes a Yahoo in the middle of a song go to
http://www.otrcat.com/nationalbarndance.htm.

I just talked to one of my best friends, Banjo Jan, who is a bluegrass
musician who when she plays bluegrass occasionally shouts out something
which sounds like, "Yee Haw!" who told me that while mainstream bluegrass
musicians who perform on stage never shout it is very common for those who
play in the parking lots.

My guess is that while it no longer politically correct toYee Haw when you
are playing in public for an audience becuause of its invidious
distinctions its usage has survived.

I would therefore argue that whatever its origins Yee Hah came into common
parlance via the radio and that in order to understand it you have to
understand first and foremost the fact that the hillbilly musicians who
used it were first and foremost entertainers for a rural audience whose
listeners liked it.

There is no doubt some literature on this subject but I don't have either
the time nor interest in looking it up.

Page Stephens

Barry?