TV Words

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 6 20:08:18 UTC 2006

--- Mark Peters <markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mark Peters <markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      TV Words

> I'm working on a big project about words (not catchphrases) that started on
> TV shows. I'm interested in both successful and unsuccessful words, and I
> already have a boatload of terms from the usual suspects (Seinfeld, Simpsons,
> Buffy, Daily Show, Colbert). I need words from a wider range of old and new
> shows.
>
>   Suggestions? I appreciate any leads.
>
>   Mark Peters

Here's a quick brain-dump of words from science fiction shows of varying
degrees of success:

tardis, dalek, timelord, matrix (in the sense of virtual reality) (Dr. Who)
smeg, smegging, smeggy, smeghead (Red Dwarf)
frell, frelling (Farscape)
frak (Battlestar Galactica, both incarnations)
gorram, shiny (Firefly)
shazbot, nanu-nanu (Mork & Mindy)
doomwatch (this is a bit iffy, since it refers to the title of a show, but
afaik it was never actually used on the show itself)

The Star Trek franchise is a treasure trove, and you may have mined it already;
if not, here are a few off the top of my head (in addition to those already
mentioned upthread):
starfleet
mind-meld
cloaking device
nanite (Next Generation)
Jeffries tube
transporter
holodeck

I would also recommend the book "TV Talk" by Ian Brookes, which covers both
individual words and catchphrases that originated on TV, with a fairly British
slant.

Jeff Prucher

http://mail.yahoo.com