"furling" = unfurling; "heart-rending" = affecting; "aghast" = awestruck

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 7 21:12:45 UTC 2006

Joel, an *ad guy* wrote that passage.

  One draws one's own conclusions.

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: Re: "furling" = unfurling; "heart-rending" = affecting; "aghast"
= awestruck

Jon, what about the following sense, if one can
make the verb intransitive here? ("The flag furls in the wind.")

†3. To make undulations on (a surface); to furrow, wrinkle. Obs.
1681 J. Chetham Angler's Vade-m. x. §1 (1689)
98 Cloudy and windy day that furls the
Water. 1742 Shenstone Schoolmistr. 261 He+furls
his wrinkly front, and cries, ‘What stuff is
here!’ a1763 I Odes, etc. (1765) 206 Nor bite your lip, nor furl your brow.

Joel