issues; the X from Hell

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Dec 9 19:13:06 UTC 2006

Similar to psychobabblish "issue" is the pejoration or adapting of the word "situation" to mean 'crisis, dangerious development'. When I first started noticing that usage on TV cop shows a few years ago, it seemed like (maybe) a ploy to sound un-panicky in an urgent radio or telephone transmission.

(Has this already been discussed here?)

--Charlie