issues; the X from Hell

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 10 20:42:29 UTC 2006

Part of the reason for this (perhaps cf. "situation") is that everyone must sound "positive and proactive."  One rarely hears the word "problem" in the contexts we've been discussing.Too negative !  In "reality," there are only "challenges" and "issues."

  As I have frequently said since 1976, "Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining."  Fred, does that get me into the next Yale ?

  JL

Seán Fitzpatrick <grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Se=E1n_Fitzpatrick?=
Subject: Re: issues; the X from Hell

It will not be news to this list that =93issues=94=3D =93problems=94 has =
long been
standard business jargon. About 1990, at an IBM project meeting, the
planner who was leading the meeting took it to new heights when he =
answered
a question by saying =93We=92ve expired the timeframe for solutioning =
that
issue=94.

=20

Se=E1n Fitzpatrick
It=92s a Gnostic thing. You wouldn't understand.
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/