Blue Santas & Brown Santas; OT: News 8 Austin's web sightings

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 11 01:11:06 UTC 2006

BLUE SANTAS & BROWN SANTAS
I should add that in addition to "Blue Santas" (police), Texas also has
"Brown Santas" (sheriff).
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/brown_santa/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/brown_santa/)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/blue_santa/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/blue_santa/)
OT: NEWS 8 AUSTIN'S WEB SIGHTINGS
News 8 Austin (from Time Warner, all local news all the time; like NY1  in
New York City) has a feature called "Web Sightings." It's included  recommended
sites that have nothing whatsoever to do with Texas--such as Word  Spy, Word
Detective, Dave Wilton's Word Origins, Merriam Webster, and American  Heritage.
So I thought, hey, considering how easy it was to get "the Big Apple" on  NY1
(never), I'd write it and suggest my web Texas site. I have hundreds of
Texas terms, including "Ensalada de Noche Buena (Christmas Eve Salad)" and "If
ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas" as well as
"Blue Santas" and "Brown Santas."
I got no response and haven't been featured. Some recently featured  sites
have nothing to do with Texas didn't seem to be much better than mine for  News
8 Austin viewers. Maybe I'll get some respect if I move to a village  of three
people in South Dakota.
_http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/web_sightings/_
(http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/web_sightings/)
_http://www.news8austin.com/content/contact_us/viewer_center/Web_Sightings/def
ault.asp?action=add_
(http://www.news8austin.com/content/contact_us/viewer_center/Web_Sightings/default.asp?action=add)
      _Top 100 Words_ (http://www.wordspy.com/topwords.asp)  Air Date:
11/1/2004
_www.wordspy.com/topwords.asp_ (http://www.wordspy.com/topwords.asp)

Nowadays new words and phrases pop up in  our language all the time. To keep
up on the phishing furkid who is  willing to drink the Kool-Aid go to this
site. Find out the Top 100 latest  trends in the English language and search for
others by  subject.
Date: 12/12/2004
_Top  10 Words of 2004_
(http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/web_sightings/?action=view&TableID=2993)
Merriam-Webster has put  together a list of the top 10 words of 2004, based
on the number of times their  definition was requested.
Date: 7/4/2005
_Wordorigins.org_
(http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/web_sightings/?action=view&TableID=3322)
We've all heard them, we've all said them, but do we really  know what they
mean? The next time you don't know the meaning or history of a  word or phrase,
go to this site. The alphabetical listings include definitions  and
explanations of how the word or phrase came to be.
Date: 11/6/2006
_The  Word Detective _
(http://www.news8austin.com/content/living/web_sightings/?action=view&TableID=7231)
Learn about terms, phrases and  words that we use every day but have their
origins in between the pages of  history.