variouis topics

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 12 02:08:43 UTC 2006

Wilson,

Right.  The letter "u" ~u (tilde means in truespel phonetic notation) stands
in truespel for the "short u" sound as in "fun, up, hut."   Long u is
spelled ~ue.  This is in keeping with the scheme of moving silent e over to
spell the long vowels - ~ae,~ee,~ie,~oe,~ue (other phonetic respellers use
this scheme as well).  The other choice to spell the long u is "long oo" as
in "boot".  But my analysis in truespel book 4 shows that letter string "oo"
is used slightly more in running text for short oo, as in "good,book".

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: variouis topics
>Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:21:44 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: variouis topics
>
>I've been wondering, why "Truespel" and not "Truspel"? Because people
>might pronounce the latter as, e.g., "trusspel"?
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 12/11/06, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>-----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      variouis topics

> > from TZ 12-9-06 regarding topics below
> >
> > Diagramming.  I had sentence diagramming as a kid and thought it was a
>good
> > way to learn and understand sentence structure and parts of speech.  I
> > thought that way as a 12 year old and still think so today.  Don't know
>why
> > it was ever stopped.
> >
> > Posh British.  I wonder what it is about the UK accent that indicates
>the
> > "poshness".  The r-dropping?  Perhaps a certain tonality?  Hear UK
>accent at
> > http://www.howjsay.com/  Quite a difference in cot/caught.  In fact the
> > vowel in caught is not said in USA.  Is it posh?
> >
> > Accent and Dialect.  California gov. Schwartzenegger has a German
>accent,
> > but he's been in USA so long he has picked up on USA vocabulary and
> > phrasing.  Shall we say he has a California dialect with a German
>accent?
> > Also, the newspaper printed a list of 100 favorite phrases.  A TV
>dialect?
> >
> > A Very Nice Passage.  "It should be the chief aim of a university
>professor
> > to exhibit himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant
>man
> > [sic] thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge." Alfred
> > North Whitehead    Thus, even the most knowledgeable should be open to
>new
> > ideas.  Just ask Socrates.
> >
> > Coventry agreement.  I wonder what is meant by dInIs who says he accepts
>the
> > Coventry agreement and will act on it?
> >
> > Spelling Reforms.  Mark Twain was an advocate of spelling reform.
>Andrew
> > Carnegie together with Theodore Roosevelt gave the last big push to do
> > additional reforms.  They weren't accepted.  So I think changes to
>spelling
> > will not happen.  But the Simplified Spelling Society is in earnest
> > developing a new English spelling.  If you'd like to participate, check
>it
> > out.  The idea is to make it simpler for people to learn and use.  But
> [...]

Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version. Join now.
http://ideas.live.com