Catch someone up

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 12 18:09:53 UTC 2006

I would also say this is a normal usage for me to hear, though I rarely
would say. I'm more interested in hearing what "knock you up" means in the
UK.

Scot

>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Catch someone up
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:10:33 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Catch someone up
>
>At 7:41 AM -0800 12/12/06, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> >On Dec 12, 2006, at 6:59 AM, neil  crawford wrote:
> >
> >>I'm aware of losing teams playing catch-up rugby when they have to
> >>be more
> >>expansive and risk-taking.
> >>
> >>I'm also familiar with meeting someone to catch up on the latest news.
> >>
> >>But the following use is new to me. Is it a recent formulation?
> >>
> >>"And Jim? How is he?"
> >>
> >>"He's the best. He's wonderful, Alex." [...]
> >>
> >>"You'll catch me up on what he's doing."
> >
> >sounds perfectly ordinary to me, and i get 28,200 raw google webhits
> >for "catch me up on".
> >
> >at least a few of these are from the UK, but it's possible that the
> >construction is more common in the US.
> >
> >(there is, of course, a well-known UK/US difference in "catch up"
> >expressions, the possibility of "catch you up" meaning 'catch up with
> >you' in the UK, but not the US.  but that's a different construction.)
> >
> >arnold
> >
>...although still not quite as significant as the different
>interpretations of "knock you up" on alternate sides of the Pond.
>
>LH

View Athlete’s Collections with Live Search
http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01