Catch someone up

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 12 19:17:32 UTC 2006

At 1:55 PM -0500 12/12/06, hpst at earthlink.net wrote:
>Scot,
>
>To wake up.

The OED entry notes helpfully that this sense
('to arouse by knocking at the door') is not
current in the U.S.; presumably the others ('tire
out', 'break down', become exhausted', 'destroy',
'prepare (food) hastily', etc.) are less likely
to be misinterpreted (given considerations of
context and register), so less subject to
taboo/homonymy avoidance.  As for the U.S. slang
use, entry 18j, it's attested since 1813, with a
particularly revolting cite from Davy Crockett
(1836), and a reference to the pernicious
ambiguity from an 1860 slang dictionary, which
notes the danger that "Englishmen often
unconsciously commit themselves when amongst our
Yankee cousins".

LH