Mispronunciation

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 12 20:52:38 UTC 2006

You mean the article in _The Annals of Proctology_?

  Now - as the proctologist said to the patient - brace yourself !  The one known person who read your gerbil disquisition is me !  And I remember it because the rodential phenomenon referred to was being much discussed among my colleagues after a reference to it, I think, in the campus paper.

  The World Wildlife Fund has been working to discourage such doings. If such doing are really done.

  The story could have developed from a drug-hazy recollection of the final scene of _Nineteen Eighty-Four_.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Mispronunciation

Some years ago, I footnoted a dry and learned discussion about the folklore of gerbil insertion with the smart-ass comment that I had examined "the annals of proctology" but failed to discover actual instances of the urban legend motif. As far as I'm aware, nobody ever noticed the joke--or found it amusing--or even read the article!

--Charlie