Catch someone up

Tue Dec 12 20:52:20 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, neil <neil at typog.co.uk> wrote:

> "And Jim? How is he?"
>
> "He's the best. He's wonderful, Alex." [...]
>
> "You'll catch me up on what he's doing."
>
> --Linda Fairstein, 'Death Dance', Little Brown, 2006, 275

Here's another interesting usage of "catch (someone) up", in an
article about position players in baseball being converted into relief
pitchers:

-----
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2005/m08/d10/c1164923.jsp
"You're building off arm strength, and teams are looking for arm
strength coming out of the pen," Fleming said. "It's easier. As a
starter you want three pitches. As a reliever, you want power and a
second pitch.
"You can catch a guy up faster in a bullpen role. A lot of times, a
guy is older, and you don't want to start him all over again to build
him up."
-----

Discussed here:
http://forum.wordreference.com/archive/index.php/t-43467.html