auto/Otto

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Dec 13 16:06:48 UTC 2006

Hey, dInIs, you know you're feeding the "SAE" ego of our prescriptivist
correspondent, don't you?!  I doubt that he'll get your irony.

But anyway, another nice merger example was said by (the other) Dennis the
Menace some years ago:  Dennis was looking at some reindeer on a Xmas
display and asked, "Which one is Olive the other reindeer?"  Most of my
students, mergers and non-mergers alike, don't get this joke either.  Ditto
for a similar cartoon on picking out a "naughty pine" Xmas tree.  'Tis the
season.

Beverly