new post: Blair and Rumsfeld end war on terror

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Dec 13 21:33:50 UTC 2006

Several months ago, I heard two British commentators say the Brits (and
other Europeans?) generally don't like the term; "war in Iraq," yes, "war
on terror," no.  They never used it (they said) with ref. to the Northern
Ireland situation and see no point to using it in the much more nebulous,
or diffuse, present case.  Blair is just finally getting around to
agreeing, apparently, but I suspect Bush never will.  The sloganizing value
of pumping up scattered attacks into a "war" is obvious.  Very interesting,
Other Dennis.