"Fo'ward"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 13 23:38:28 UTC 2006

In Wilmington, which, with Harbor City and San Pedro, is one of three
towns that make up Los Angeles Harbor, there is a bar with that name,
which it spelled "Fo'c'sle" in neon tubing. Seeing that was my first
clue that the word was not pronounced "fore castle." I was 21, at the
time.

Speaking of pronunciation, note that, in L.A., there are two accepted
pronunciations of San Pedro: [sam 'pEDro] and [sAn 'pidrou]. If you
say [sAn pejdrou], everybody will know that you're F[resh]O[ff
the]B[us].

There are two versions of the song, "Hot Rod Lincoln." One begins, "I
left San Peedro" and the other begins "I left San Paydro." It's easy
to tell which singer is an Angeleño.

-Wilson

On 12/13/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Fo'ward"
>
> "Forecastle" in still much in use but nowadays usually spelled "fo'c'sle."  I have always heard and said / 'foksl /, but I know a formerly nautical couple who say
>    / 'fok at sl / with three syllables. Of course, their sailboat didn't have one.
>
>   JL
>
> Alison Murie <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM> wrote:

-----
-Sam'l Clemens