I say "Lusitan-i-ay"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 14 15:42:12 UTC 2006

But nobody ever accused Matthew Arnold (the "Lusitani-ay" guy of the original post) of being
a nonstandard or eccentric rhymer.

  Also, Larry, shouldn't that be "Buffalo-oh-oh"?  Anyway that's how I heard it.

  JL
  Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: I say "Lusitan-i-ay"

>Unless "lackaday" and "Canada" were both pronounced with final /i/
>or /I/, like "holiday" in some dialects and "Sunday" (etc.) in most?
>
>--Charlie

I think the Sunday rhyme--with [ey] (or, for Tom Z's benefit, "long
a")--is far more likely; there are all those other songs with such
pronunciations as "Lusitan-i-ay", "Californ-Eye-Ay", and even "Til we
get to Buffalo-Eye-Ay", so "Cana-DAY" seems plausible enough as a
kind of disingenuous musical orthographic pronunciation if not an
actual one.

LH