"Fo'ward"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Thu Dec 14 17:21:08 UTC 2006

You're right, and now we're back to the original issue:  Is r-lessness
spreading to r-ful areas, or is it limited to certain lexical items only,
like fo-cas-l and fo-ward?  Hartman wrote of semi-r-lessness (I think that
was his word) in the Southwest years ago; I think the map is reprinted in
Wolfram and Schilling-Estes.  Diane Rehm's "fo-ward" sounds semi to me, but
she lives in Bethesda, MD!

BTW, would you all capitalize "r-lessness" at the beginning of a
sentence??  With phonemic slashes, maybe, but how about if spelled out, as
I've done?