Teen follies

Thu Dec 14 20:51:15 UTC 2006

> the crack staff at Language Log Plaza is at work on tracking down the
> source of the story.

"Archbishop Trent", I'm forgetting his first name, a prominent mid-19th
C English amateur philologist, wrote that the English rustic had a
vocabulary of X00 words -- I forget the count, but absurdly low, ca. 400
or so.  I saw this published as a fact when I was a boy -- not in the
Victorian era, neither.

English rustics must know X00/2 nouns for the animals they care for,
their body parts, the terms designating the males, females and young,
their colors, Ec.; plus the names of the tools they use and their parts.
 Cats have paws, horses hooves & pigs trotters, for instance.  Throw in
nouns for household furnishings, articles of clothing, &c., and a few
verbs, and they've already exceeded their quota.  Teenagers have fewer
things to talk about than rustics do, of course.  But no doubt many of
us, English rustics, teenagers, and others. often talk for hours using
100 words or so.

Pointing no fingers, of course.

So someone at the BBC reads books by mid-19th C amateur philologists and
makes them relevant to the modern world -- nothing wrong with that, surely?

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.