"You know how I roll" = whatever

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 15 14:57:39 UTC 2006

I don't know hw long "square" has been around, but I first heard
"lame" in its slang use ca.1951.
 It strikes me that the hip boxes are saying, "We wouldn't have it any
other way, as any fool should know."

BTW, in the Los Angeles demi-monde of the '60's, among its other
meanings, "square" meant "anyone who's not into my bag." Pimps
considered non-pimps to be squares. B-girls considered whores to be
squares. Players - professional gamblers, in that time and place -
considered pimps to be squares. Assmasters considered tricks to be
squares. Tricks felt that it was lame to game when you could hit, git,
and split. Etc., etc.

-Wilson

On 12/14/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "You know how I roll" = whatever
>
> A USPS commercial has a pair of shipments conversing before pickup.  One shipment says he's a bunch of hightops, "old-school."  The lame (i.e., "square" for you oldtimers) shipment says, "You guys sound pretty cool."  The boxes reply somewhat disdainfully, "_You_ know how I roll."
>
>   This sounds fairly undefinable, but Urban Dictionary told us way back in 2003 that "You know how I roll" means "when your talking to someone and they say something good abouit you and your just like psh, you know how i roll."
>
>   48,000 RGs.
>
>   JL

-----
-Sam'l Clemens