Nobody's Perfect Dept.

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Dec 15 15:11:30 UTC 2006

Here's another gem, from a thesis I'm reading, quoting one Benedict
Anderson, who writes on "imagined communities" and the rise of "print
capitalism":  The Reformation and the use of vernaculars allowed
"idiolects, i.e. groupings of vernacular dialects, to be assembled, within
definite limits, into print-languages far fewer in number" (1991, p.
43).  Footnote (Anderson's or my student's?):  "An idiolect is the entire
repertoire of lects (i.e. language varieties) for any given language."