Nobody's Perfect Dept.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 15 16:55:07 UTC 2006

Benedict Anderson is so famous he's in Wackipedia:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Anderson

  More and more I see the spelling "ideolect," BTW.

  JL

  Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Beverly Flanigan
Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.

Here's another gem, from a thesis I'm reading, quoting one Benedict
Anderson, who writes on "imagined communities" and the rise of "print
capitalism": The Reformation and the use of vernaculars allowed
"idiolects, i.e. groupings of vernacular dialects, to be assembled, within
definite limits, into print-languages far fewer in number" (1991, p.
43). Footnote (Anderson's or my student's?): "An idiolect is the entire
repertoire of lects (i.e. language varieties) for any given language."

http://mail.yahoo.com