Origin of "flamer"?

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Sun Dec 17 03:11:35 UTC 2006

<<She swears this is "old" usage, e.g. from the '80's.>>

'80s sounds about right to me, if not earlier, although I wouldn’t call it
common.  Urban Dictionary has 39 entries for “flamer”.  29-30 of them are
for flamboyant homosexual, as in “flaming faggot”.

Does any one know the origin of the British “floater”.  It’s derogatory or
dismissive of a person, an idea, or a project.

Seán Fitzpatrick
Proud to be in more officially recognized
victim groups than you
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/