Dropping the aitch from "human"

Tue Dec 19 02:21:21 UTC 2006

I second this division of /h/ + glide vs. plain /h/, and add an even
more widespread /h/-dropping phenomenon in the US, which/hj/ > /j/
seems to be related to phonetically: /hw/ > /w/ in wh- words, which
is common in a lot of areas.
/hj/  > /j/ is certainly common in Greater NY and New Jersey; it was
native to me (though living in other areas restored that /h/) across
the board.  The next sound is almost exclusively /u/--it'd be
interesting to see what that once fairly good-sized Norwegian
contingent in Brooklyn (yes, there was one) does with names like
Hjalmar or Hjordis, but for most New Yorker vernacular speakers Hugh
= you  and you have yoomin beinz and a sensa yooma.  I don't know
where else you get it.
        Otherwise, except for low-stress cases and in one-offs like herb,
honor, honest, /h/-dropping doesn't seem to appear in the US much.
I've heard theories that the large number of Scotch-Irish (/h/-ful)
who settled here helped preserve /h/ as they might have done with
postvocalic /r/.  Maybe you get /h/ dropping before a vowel among
Gullah speakers, as you do among Caribbean creole speakers?

Paul Johnston