Dropping the aitch from "human"

Tue Dec 19 20:04:50 UTC 2006

Some of the forms you mention, Wilson, were present in earlier
versions of AmE I think, as one-offs.  I say homage as h-less myself;
I've seen StdE h-less accounts of humble from the 19c and Humphrey
from the 16th-17th.  Of course, there's a shade-in between dialects
with a larger set of one-offs and those that are said to  drop /h/
variably--the difference only lies in the presence or absence of non-
categorical dropping in a greater set of words.  But it certainly
points to the presence and influence of /h/-less varieties as part of
the input of a larger number of American dialects than is usually
assumed.

Paul