a request

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Dec 19 22:48:12 UTC 2006

Wilson,

You start quotin Richard Pryor, I'ma start quotin Redd Foxx.

You got to wash you ass.
-Redd Foxx

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: a request
>
>Boy, why donchu go see you a ahfuh-donnis? Thass a dInIs, ya know.
>-Richard Pryor
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 12/19/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
>>-----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>>  Subject:      Re: a request

>>  In my own dialect, I find it impossible to pronounce the entire
>>final cluster of the word "fifth"--much less "twelfth"; the /f/
>>disappears.
>>
>>  More to the point (as elaborated by Jonathan), I can't do "desks"
>>or "wasps" either; I probably just avoid using plurals in those
>>cases!
>>
>>  What I do for the plural of "dentist" may be idiosyncratic, but
>>the plural tends to be (yes!) /dInIs/, as if omitting the /-t/
>>makes it sound more plural.
>>
>>  --Charlie
>>  ____________________________________________

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world, but if you look at
them carefully, you'll see that they all have one thing in common:
They were invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named Dennis.
Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English