Gringo (1839)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 23 16:52:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Charles Doyle wrote:

> I've heard (i.e. read) that American Indians use (or used to use) the
> designation "black white men."  That's in Walker's _The Color Purple_,
> but I think I've encountered it elsewhere too.

This was in the film _Little Big Man_, maybe also in the book by Thomas
Berger.  There was a line something like "ah, the black white man, not as
ugly as the white man, but just as crazy."

Fred

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986