99.44% pure

Sat Dec 23 23:22:51 UTC 2006

Hmmmmm, the math would seem to be pretty simple. If you have 100 pounds of
ivory soap and it contains .56% impurity, that would amount to 100 x .0056, or
.56 pounds or 4.48 ounces. In an 8-ounce bar of soap, tht would amount to .0224
ounces. So the "once molecule for a vbar of soap the size of the distance
between the sun and Jupiter seems to be seriously   in error. I'm not sure what
math Paige was using--maybe Paige can elaborate?

Of course the claims are puffery, even so. And if you think about it, who
wants .0224 ounces of impurtity in her hand soap? What if it is a highly toxic
radioactive substance? Drool from the soap-maker's lips? Dead skin from the
soapmaker's unwashed hand? Roach droppings? Mascara? An eyelash? And is each vbar
of soap 99.44% puire, or is that just every ton of soap that comes out of the
factory? If each ton contains one dead mouse chpped up and pureed and
distributed in the first 500 bars, and the remaining bars are correspondingly "pure"
(enough to make the average come out at 99.44% for the whole ton) does that
count?

One of my mother's sayings was, "Well, they say we all eat a peck of dirt in
our lives." Did she make this up, or have others heard it as well?