"Mistaken" date of first use for "movie"?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 24 12:34:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Fred, there is no 1902 instance of "movie" in OED2 (the earliest use
> there is 1912).  I don't have access to OED3 at home.  But in any
> case, even if OED3 has a 1902 date, its entry for "movie" is probably
> described as "draft".  What's to acknowledge?

The citation in question is actually dated 1903 by OED3, 1902 by HDAS.
By "acknowledgment" I meant at least a response by one of the dictionary
editors to my postings about the erroneous citation, hopefully stating
that the error is slated to be corrected in the future.  (I don't mean to
get Popickian about this, I was just pointing out that this is still
unfinished historical-lexicographical business.)

Fred

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986