More Re: Antedatings in the Yale Book of Quotations -- 26: Line in the Sand

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 27 00:20:41 UTC 2006

1853 _Gleason's Pictorial Drawing-Room Companion_ 26 Nov. 350 (American
Periodical Series)  A couple of well-armed guides came upon us and
insisted upon disturbing our meditations with their magpie chatter. ...
Talking did no good, they talked so much faster and in more languages than
we.  I remembered the brave American adventurer, and drew a line in the
sand; if they crossed that, I hardly know what terrors were to come upon
them.  And these stout, well armed men marched like lions to the line --
there they stopped, and we were molested no more.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986